Clinics & Services
The nurses are able to offer the following services to our patients:
- Asthma and spirometry clinic
- Blood pressure readings and hypertension monitoring including 24hr blood pressure monitoring
- Cervical smears (see below)
- Diabetic clinic
- Diet advice and weight monitoring
- Ear syringing
- Family planning advice including fitting of coils and implants
- Foreign travel advice
- Influenza and pneumococcal vaccination
- INR service (Warfarin monitoring)
- Leg Ulcer and wound dressings
- Minor surgery
- NHS Health Checks
- Pregnancy testing
- Vaccinations & immunisations e.g. holiday, children’s, tetanus, contraceptionChild Clinics
Every day Monday-Friday at 11:00 we have a half hour "no appointments necessary" surgery for children 12 years old and under. All the doctors see the children at this time, so there is usually very little wait - on most days everyone is seen by half past eleven.
Of course, if there is a childhood epidemic going on things can take longer - but our special children's half hour does mean that at the Birchwood Medical practice your children don't have to make an appointment when they are ill!
Cervical Cytology (smears)
It is important that all women between the age of 25 and 65 have regular cervical smear tests carried out in accordance with the NHS cervical screening guidelines.
The Birchwood Medical practice is encouraging patients between 25-49 to have a smear carried out every three years and patients between 50-65 every five years. Some women may be asked to attend more frequently in individual circumstances.
Women who have never had sex and those that have had a hysterectomy do not usually need to have a smear.
This procedure is simple and painless and will take only a few minutes.
Appointments are available with the practice nurses or GP at most times of the day. The best time to attend is in the middle of your menstrual cycle. Detailed information is available at in our Your Health section